August, 8th - October, 31st 2020
STADTMUSEUM KLAUSEN / MUSEO CIVICO DI CHIUSA
Frag 1 / Via Fraghes 1, Klausen Chiusa BZ
Klausen experienced a cultural heyday in the second half of the 19th century as an “artist town”. Alexander Koester (Bergneustadt 1864 - Munich 1932) is one of the best known and most important representatives of the Klausner artist colony. His close relationship with Eisackstadt was not only artistic, but also personal: in 1891 he came to Klausen for the first time and met his later wife Isabella Kantioler, a daughter of the lamb host. In 1896 he settled in Klausen, in 1898 he opened a summer studio in Munich. The outbreak of the First World War forced him to move to Munich. In 2005 the city of Klausen had a bronze monument erected by Prof. Martin Rainer to commemorate the close ties between Alexander Koester and his adopted home.
The Klausner years are his most fruitful creative period. As an artist, Koester initially turned to traditional genre painting, but then became an impressionist who concentrated entirely on the direct reproduction of nature. With a preference he designed narrow sections of nature; He became famous for his duck pictures in countless variations.
The exhibition presents a cross-section of his rich oeuvre. The works are owned by the Dr. Hans and Hildegard Koester Dortmund. This collection is intended as the basis for the future Tinnemuseum in Klausen, which is dedicated to art in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with a focus on Alexander Koester and Klausner artist colony.