July, 25th - October, 25th 2020
Museum der Havelländischen Malerkolonie
Beelitzer Str. 1 / Ecke Dorfstraße
14548 Schwielowsee / OT Ferch
Hiddensee and the artistic avant-garde of Germany at the beginning of the 20th century is a multifaceted phenomenon: writers, actors and directors, painters, sculptors and architects worked individually or in groups on the island. If the life and work of literary figures, the two Nobel Prize winners Gerhard Hauptmann and Thomas Mann, were well researched and appreciated, the activities of the Hiddenso Artists' Association remained a little-noticed chapter so far.
The Hiddensee Artists' Association (1919 - 1933) was founded in autumn 1919 on the initiative of Berlin painters Henni Lehmann and Clara Arnheim. Her early comrades-in-arms were Elisabeth Büchsel and Katharina Bamberg from Stralsund, Elisabeth Büttner from Hamburg and Maria Ressel from Vienna, Else Pauls from Fischerhude, Käthe Loewenthal from Stuttgart, Elisabeth Andrae and Martha Mischel from Dresden and finally Julie Wolfthorn, Gertrud Körner, Dorothea Stroschein, Augusta von Zitzewitz and others from Berlin. In total, there were more than twenty female painters who had been coming to the island as summer guests for years and were now gradually joining the federal government.
Many female painters had known each other for years, since they often studied at the same time in private studios or in the painting school of the Berlin Artists Association. Her stays and studies in Paris were almost synchronous. In particular, their active struggle for women's rights and for admission to study at the art academies consolidated some friendships.
The center of life of the artists' association was Henni Lehmann's Blue Barn, the location of which in Vitte was prominent. There the painters invited to joint works, events and sales exhibitions.
The exhibition was curated by Professor Jelena Jamaikina.