Philipp Röth (1841 - 1921)
October 25, 2019 - March 8, 2020
Konrad-Adenauer-Str. 3, Dachau
After his first drawing lessons Philipp Röth began his training as a landscape painter in 1855 with August Lucas and Karl Ludwig Seeger, the director of the Grand Ducal Museum of Signs in Darmstadt. With the painter friends Eugen Bracht and Fritz Ebel he went in 1858 to the Karlsruhe Art Academy. There, the modest relative could study with a one-year scholarship with the landscape painter Johann Wilhelm Schirmer. Here he met Hans Thoma, with whom he had a lifelong friendship. In 1860 he met in Darmstadt with Paul Weber, who introduced him to the Barbizon school. In 1862 the young painter settled in Dusseldorf. From there he made his first trips to the Dachau region in 1863. After the wedding with Paul Weber's daughter Pauline, he moved to Munich in 1871. Until 1910, his path took him to all the small hamlets around Dachau and Fürstenfeldbruck. He regularly exhibited his landscape paintings of the Amper and the Moos in the Munich Kunstverein and in the Glaspalast. In 1892 he was able to buy a house in the Gerner villa colony in Munich and in 1903 he was honorary professor of the Munich Art Academy. Philipp Röth's natural idylls are in the late Romantic tradition of the Düsseldorf Landscape School. Under the influence of naturalism, his Dachau landscape paintings increased to an impressionistic mood painting.