Georg Bernhard Müller vom Siel and his 8 painting students:
Luise Droste Roggemann, Toni Elster, Anna Feldhusen, Hedwig Ranafier-Bulling, Emy Rogge, Gertrud Freifrau von Schimmelmann, Marie Stein-Ranke und Marie (Mieze) Stumpe
30 oil paintings, watercolours and etchings
As in previous years, we will be showing pictures by historical Dötlingen artists in the two galleries Müller vom Siel-Kate and Galerie.4 in the first few months of the new year.
The paintings were donated to us by a private art collector and patron and most of them have not yet been shown in public.
Georg Bernhard Müller vom Siel was born in Großensiel on 13 June 1865 as the youngest of 12 children of the merchant Johann Hinrich Müller and his wife Anna Amalie. He left the Oberrealschule Oldenburg at the age of 15 to travel to New York in 1880 at the age of 16.
He was one of Dötlingen’s best-known painters during the heyday of the painters’ colonies at the beginning of the twentieth century, which centred around Worpswede, Dangast and Dötlingen. In 1882/83, he studied at the Royal Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts in Munich under Adolf Lier’s pupil Joseph Wenglein (1845 – 1919) and attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp in 1884/1885.
After his second stay in America in 1885, Müller vom Siel lived and studied in Paris from 1886 to 1889. He then moved to Berlin in 1890. There he was a master student of the landscape painter Hans Frederik Gude (1825 – 1903) in 1894/95.
In 1889, Georg Müller returned from the Siel in France and became aware of the isolated Geest village of Dötlingen while travelling on the Ahlhorn Heath. In 1896, he decided to stay in Dötlingen and become artistically active here. He was fascinated by the Geest landscape, the picturesque cottages and the light, so that he mainly found his motifs in nature.
In his painting school in Dötlingen, initially in the Vokmann clay shed (Müller-vom-Siel-Kate since 2015), Georg Bernhard Müller vom Siel taught the daughters of middle-class Bremen families who aspired to artistic professions. These were women who had already received their own comprehensive education and were trying to live for art and secure their livelihood through art.
Business with art was obviously flourishing, as he was able to establish a painting school in “Haus Meineck” as early as 1898. He lived here for ten years until a medical diagnosis of “schizophrenia” in 1909 banished him behind the walls of the Wehnen state hospital for the rest of his life, where he died in 1939.