Max Koch – The Late Work
The Museum der Havelländischen Malerkolonie is proud to present the rediscovery of Max Koch’s late work in its summer exhibition. Max Koch (1859-1930) was a very successful artist in Berlin, known above all for his monumental decorative paintings in public buildings. As a professor, he taught this subject at the Museum of Decorative Arts until an advanced age.
His love of water made him choose Potsdam. He moved into a villa on the Tiefen See in the Berliner Vorstand and had a motorboat converted into a studio boat. Max Koch painted the Havelland lake landscapes surrounding Potsdam, which he then showed at Fritz Gurlitt’s gallery in 1891 in Berlin, among other places, and also regularly at the Great Berlin Art Exhibition.
In 1928 Max Koch moved to Sacrow into a house he had built for himself. There a large circle of friends gathered around him, including Lovis Corinth, Karl Hagemeister, Fritz Rumpf and Philipp Franck.
Max Koch died in his house in Sacrow in 1930.
A private initiative has promoted the reception of Max Koch via the internet, brought together a number of collectors and created public interest. As a result, the Museum der Havelländischen Malerkolonie can present a first solo exhibition since 1929.