As early as the 17th century, artists visited the small village of Katwijk on the North Sea. They painted the atmospheric landscape, the beach, the 14th-century Oude Kerk and the Vuurbaak beacon from 1605, which is visible from afar because it towers high. Around 1830, the painters Andreas Schelfhout (1787-1870) and B. J. van Hove (1790-1880) discovered the village and sent their students to Katwijk. The arrival of Jozef Israëls (1824-1911) in 1856 made the fishing village widely known, for his paintings prompted many Dutch and also German artists themselves to travel to the place where they were created. The artists’ colony Katwijk was born.
64 p. with numbers Fig., Dachau 2020