Tervuren PDF

The artists’ colony of Tervuren (Flanders, Belgium) was founded in de woods near Brussels around 1860, after the colony of Barbizon (France). Freeing themselves from academic restrictions, young Belgian artists like Camille Van Camp (who also worked in Domburg in The Netherlands), Joseph Coosemans, Jules Montigny and in particular Hippolyte Boulenger painted their surroundings en plein air. From Romanticism, the painters turned to an emotional Realism that was to have its impact on the development of Impressionism in Belgium.

Around 1875, a second generation followed in the footsteps of the first group to paint the same sites in Tervuren. Among these artists were Isidore Verheyden, Jean-Baptiste Degreef, Guillaume Vogels and Lucien Fank. Some 20 years later, a third generation emerged which consisted mainly of pupils of Joseph Coosemans, who had become a teacher in landscape painting at the Hoger Instituut voor Schone Kunsten (Higher Institute of Fine Arts) in Antwerp.

The colony existed – like so many of them – until the First World War.

The Artists' Colony

Tourist Information

Tourist-Office

Markt 7b
B-3080 Tervuren
+32 2 766 53 40
toerisme@tervuren.be
www.tervuren.be

Mayor

Jan Spooren
Markt 7a
B-3080 Tervuren
+32 2 769 20 72
  • Gemeentelijk Museum “Hof van Melijn” Melijndreef 6
    B-3080 Tervuren
    +32 2 767 62 69
    www.vriendensvt.be

    The municipal museum "Het Hof van Melijn" is closed. The museum will probably open at a different location at the end of 2021. Meanwhile, De Vrienden van de School van Tervuren, regularly organize exhibitions at CC De Warandepoort Markt 7b 3080 Tervuren.

Site Plan Tervuren